Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Back in the saddle again...

It's been a long time between blogs I know! It has taken me weeks to even come close to getting a handle on all the stuff that backed up on me in my office. But I think I'm about there. My desk is starting to show through the piles again.

I do want to note here (as well as EVERYWHERE ELSE!) the change in our Youth Commission meeting time. As is well known Episcopalians (of all ages) don't really like change. On the whole we don't want to deal with it. So changing our meeting time from Tuesday nights to Sunday afternoons may seem a little radical. But more of our members (especially the youth) were having more and more trouble making the meetings. As I've noted elsewhere this is probably the busiest generation of teens in the history of the world. So YC discussed it and decided to make two (or three depending on how you look at it) changes.
1: We moved the meeting to Sunday. It was the only day that offered any improvement. No one wanted their Saturdays clogged up (more than they already are) so we ended up on Sunday.
2: We went to afternoon meetings. It's just easier to travel during daylight, especially during the winter. So meetings moved to 2 PM with dinner at 5:30 and hopefully everyone merrily on their way by 6.
3: We will now only meet every OTHER month (I know of at least one diocese where they only meet once a YEAR!). So the schedule goes September, November, January, March, May. We usually ended up not meeting in December anyway, February is a no fun travel month so we skip it.

These changes mean we also have to really get some work done during the meetings. Not just doing the agenda items but some of the committee work can be done then as well. It's an experiment, we've only committed to it for a year. I encourage everyone to give it a try. If you couldn't make it before now's the time to try. If you NEVER came before nows the time to try. Remember that youth commission is open to anyone High School age and over who is interested in the youth ministry of the Episcopal Diocese of WNY. Hope to see you there.
Peace

No comments: