Monday, October 06, 2003

A Little Heart

I thought I'd share this story. Some folks have heard me tell it before. It began with "one of those days". The kind of day when everything seems to go wrong. When it doesn't matter how hard you try it stills comes out wrong in the end. I had spent the day struggling with a couple of projects that simply did not want to cooperate. None of them were complicated all were things that I had done before but they just wouldn't play. With each passing minute I grew more and more frustrated. I knew I could do this stuff but somehow I kept dropping the ball. The final straw was a printing job that kept getting lost in my computer. I couldn't take it anymore! The computer was stupid. I was stupid. The world was stupid. I was incompetent. God was obviously ticked off at me and my Momma probably didn't love me anymore too. Suddenly my printer whirred into life. This was a little startling because I hadn't asked it to print anything! Great! Stupid piece of technological (dirty words, dirty words, dirty words) won't work when I need it and does when I don't! When I turned to look at the page it spat out it looked like it was blank. Looking again I realized it had printed a single symbol in the upper corner of the page.

A single heart.

I just sat there staring at it, almost afraid to touch it. It was like a direct answer to my thoughts at that moment. Of all the random symbols the printer might have kicked out it was that one. I had to laugh. I also had to say a little prayer of thanks.

Today that piece of paper still sits in my printer tray. If you dig down under all the pages that sit on the output tray you'll find it there. It's a reminder that God (and Mom) love me. Even on the days when I can't get the machines to work for me. Even on the days when I think I'm stupid and incompetent. Even on my worst days.

It's kinda nice to have the reminder sometimes.
Peace

No comments: