Wednesday, January 06, 2010

View From the Phlipside - 2010 Movies - ReMakes and Sequels


These are the scripts from my weekly media commentary program on WRFA-LP Jamestown

My name is Jay Phillippi and I've spent my life in and around the media. TV, Radio, the movies and more. I love 'em and I hate em' and I always have an opinion. Call this the view from the Phlipside

The start of a new year and that means a whole new year of movies to see! So let's take a look at some of what's coming. This week we'll start with remakes and sequels. As always I expect this to be a mixed lot. Too often the second or third or whatever in a series or the remakes are just lacking in whatever it was that made the original work.

For example in June we can look forward to the "Kung Fu Kid" a remake of 1984's "Karate Kid". This time around the teacher will be played by Jackie Chan and the young boy by Will Smith's son Jaden. Could be a hit or a total disaster. Other remakes include Clash of the Titans which as I remember was awful back in 1981. The effects were all done in stop motion and looked tired even then. New generation computer animation will certainly help I'm just not sure how many people will jump at the chance to see the story of Perseus on the big screen. Made plenty of money the first time though.

OK more remakes still to come - Poltergeist (despite the rumor that the first three movies in this series were cursed. Seriously). Red Dawn, with the Chinese invading this time instead of the Russians. Look for a return of the "Wolf Man" and the folks at Disney return to "Alice in Wonderland", get ready to dance again with a new "Footloose", oh and Freddy Krueger is back with a new version of "A Nightmare on Elm Street".

Turning to sequels there are PLENTY of those this year too. The animated film Hoodwinked 2: Hood vs. Evil is coming. If you're ready for a return of the old "Greed is Good" motto watch for "Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps" in April. Then we have "Iron Man 2", "Shrek: Forever After" and "Sex in the City 2" in May. Later in the year you'll find "Toy Story 3", "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1", "The Chronicles of Narnia - Voyage of the Dawn Treader", and "Tron: Legacy"

I've probably missed at least a couple more re-makes or sequels but that's more than enough for one year. I'm not sure I'd bet on any of them other than Harry Potter being a guaranteed hit. I know I'm interested in the Narnia, Tron, and Iron Man films along with Harry. Most of the rest I can wait till they hit DVD and a few I'll skip completely. Next week I'll take a look at what's new and interesting in the movies.

Call that the view from the Phlipside

No comments: