Wednesday, November 25, 2009

View From the Phlipside - IPhone Users


These are the scripts from my weekly media commentary program on WRFA-LP Jamestown

My name is Jay Phillippi and I've spent my life in and around the media. TV, Radio, the movies and more. I love 'em and I hate em' and I always have an opinion. Call this the view from the Phlipside

Apparently I'm a bad person. I never realized it, it just happened one day. After that day I must have been pretty bad. One decision is all it took. My days as a nice guy came to a crashing halt on that fateful day. The day I bought an iPhone.

I actually went in with the idea of getting a Blackberry. But the slim lines of the iPhone, the low price and a little salesmanship from my AT&T rep all pushed into the arms of the iPhone. Which I happen to really love and enjoy using. So what's with all the emo moaning about being a bad person?

That actually comes from a study done by the folks at a company called Retrevo who were doing what they called a "Gadgetry Survey". They were trying to collect some data on just who it was who were buying these snazzy little gadgets. The results were pretty ugly. For example - one out of three have broken up with their significant other by either text message or by email. Which I have to admit is a pretty scummy thing. Of course the good news is that if this is the way they choose to break up with up you then you're better off with out them anyway. It gets worse from there. A third of us would prefer a significant other with all the coolest gadgets over one with a college degree. And not surprisingly you're likely to get dumped if you don't have the latest gadgets. Also if YOU spend too much time with your electronic gadgets. There's probably an app for that on my iPhone. iPhone users are twice as likely to look at shall we say "inappropriate material" on our phones as Blackberry users are.

Along the way we think pretty highly of ourselves too. iPhone users view ourselves as media buffs and intellectuals. On the whole not a particularly choice snapshot of who we are as iPhone owners.

Of course as I take a look at all that I realize maybe I'm OK. I've never broken up with someone via text or whatever. Of course it helps that I've been in the same relationship for 30 years now. I definitely prefer the college degree over the gadgets and I don't much care about how current your gadgets are because I don't much care how current MY gadgets are. I don't look at stuff I don't need to be looking at. Besides why do it on a two inch square monitor? So I guess I'm that OTHER percentage of iPhone users. I think I can live with that.

Call that the view from the Phlipside

No comments: