Monday, June 15, 2009

Come to the Water


Along with my work in the Episcopal church I also work with the churches of the Southwestern Conference of the Upstate NY Synod of ELCA. It's been a challenge and a lot of fun along the way. Over the weekend we had an event with the local Lutheran camp and conference center (LCLC- Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center). It's a great facility and we're trying to pump up the involvement of the nearest churches in its programs. So I led a group of 3-6th graders in the Bible study portion of the day. Those are a lot younger kids than I normally work with and I was a little nervous. Everything seemed to go very well and the adults were very complimentary about my teaching. The event was called "Come to the Water" and so I talked about water and its symbolism in the church. I used both the story of the Samaritan woman at the well and Peter walking on the water as examples. Plus did a little easy science by showing them how to float a paper clip on the water with no tricks (just God given surface tension).

There's a photo album of the event here photos of me courtesy of my friend and fellow blogger Tara at Uphill Idealist. I realize these are some of the first looks I've offered of the new, thinner me.

Peace

1 comment:

Tara Lamont said...

It was a great day Jay! I think your lesson and photos turned out great.