Friday, October 23, 2009

View From the Phlipside


These are the scripts from my weekly media commentary program on WRFA-LP Jamestown

My name is Jay Phillippi and I've spent my life in and around the media. TV, Radio, the movies and more. I love 'em and I hate em' and I always have an opinion. Call this the view from the Phlipside

You really have to wonder some days if anyone is paying any attention. Not to this program, I'm happy to note that I know of several people who seem to have nothing better to do than listen in. No in this case I'm wondering what on earth the folks who approve the promotional materials over at the Pepsi Cola company are thinking.

If you haven't heard Pepsi is getting a lot of flack over a new iPhone app. An app is a little program that you can use on your iPhone to do all kinds of things. I have apps that help me find ATMS, get the weather, keep connected with Facebook, even track my bicycle mileage back when it was still warm enough to ride. The Pepsi app is just so appallingly WRONG that I can't imagine folks listening to the concept and saying "Oh, yeah we definitely want that representing our company".

The app is in support of the AMP energy drink and is intended to help the younger male target audience "score" with the ladies. The program, charmingly named "Amp Up Before You Score" does this by providing pick up lines for 24 different "types" of women. The types range from Sorority Girl to Goth Girl to Trouble to Businesswoman to Nerd. Each type is represented by a cartoon figure that is, shall we say, well endowed. To be honest I'm not overly outraged by this part of the app. It's stupid and childish and shows a rather juvenile view of women but I can see the argument that it was intended as a joke.

No it's the next bit that worries me. The app also offers a "scoreboard" so you can keep track of your presumable conquests. Speaking as an older guy of a certain level of experience let me pass along this bit of wisdom. The ladies really hate this kind of thing. You're not going to impress them with any of it. No I'll take that back, there do seem to be some women who do fall for this. Being shallow and juvenile is not solely a male characteristic.

Think about this guys - You meet the new lady, she sees the iPhone and wants to check it out. She scans through your apps, sees the Amp one and opens it. And gets to see exactly how you've been "scoring". In all likelihood, you won't be scoring that night. So dump the app.

Astoundingly, despite the almost universal disdain for the program and the fact that Pepsi has already apologized for it, they haven't opted to do the same. Amazing.

Call that the view from the Phlipside

No comments: