Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Monday update - delayed

The Weekend That Was Actually pretty quiet. The end of last week was no fun. We went to get a key made for my lady wife's car which has the Ford Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) which means duplicate keys are very expensive (cost us $75). And the key doesn't work. Took hours to get it done (much longer than normal) and now it doesn't work. Ford is going to "take care of it" for me today. Plus my doctor's appointment was no fun. My blood work was bad (good cholesterol down, bad up, etc) and my BP was up. My doc (who I like a great deal) wanted to change and add medications. I got her to agree to a 3 month waiting period to see if my summer "lifestyle" was the culprit. She admitted it was likely. So I will be creating a new regime both food and exercise for camp next year.
So a quiet holiday weekend was cool. I did install a new motion sensor light on the garage that works perfectly!

This week's To Do List Um, never did get to really making my to do list last week and the computer was messed up so no video editing got done. So this week.....

What Am I Procrastinating About? Oh, most things.

What Am I Reading? Knocked off John Grisham's "The King of Torts" which was pretty good although the ending was TOTALLY predictable and safe. Working on "The World on Fire - 1919 and the Battle with Bolshevism" by Anthony Read. It's an interesting time in history (and not one of America's brightest since it includes the Palmer Raids). The book's tight focus on a single year feels a little constraining however. Interesting so far.

I'm also working through Krista Tippett's book "Speaking of Faith" with a book group. Deep but interesting. See more below.

What Am I Listening To/Watching? I'm listening to mostly podcasts at the moment from "Speaking of Faith" with Krista Tippett. I started with the podcasts a long time before the book. She ranges VERY widely in the world of faith covering everything you can imagine - prayer, voodoo, all the major religions to the poetry of Rami and more. I really enjoy them.

Watched the movie "Failure to Launch" which I generally enjoyed. My question is why do some movie makers insist on adding something stupid? There's a story line about how Matthew McConaughey's character's lifestyle is "rejected by nature" which is shown by some really stupid interactions with animals. The rest of the movie is realistic in style and then the animals are out of some kid's movie. Dumb. Two particular thumbs up to Cathy Bates who has a small role but is wonderful as the mom and Terry Bradshaw, yes #12 from the Pittsburgh Steelers, who is hysterical as the dad. Oh, and naked. You get several really good looks at his naked butt. It's gonna take a long time to get that image out of my brain.


Next Up? Gotta get some stuff done this week before next week's trip to Binghamton for the provincial meeting.

How Am I Doing? Feeling pretty good. Took my BP at home last night and it was wonderful. The sun is shining and I feel pretty good.

No comments: