Friday, September 12, 2008

Oh where to even begin!?!

Story

Here's the headline:

Dad chases nude boy from daughter's room with pipe

I'm the father of a daughter.
My first reactions were - amusement and understanding.

Yes, if I'd ever caught a naked young man in my daughter's bedroom I would have reacted badly. I readily admit it.

And yes, this seems funny at first blush.

Here's what's not so funny:

Dad didn't even know darling daughter HAD a boyfriend.
Dad didn't know this had been going on for a year.
Dad opened up naked boy's scalp with that pipe.

On the last one I have to give him a partial pass. He heard a noise and found a naked stranger standing in his daughter's bed. My first reaction to that is "Daughter in danger. Must kill person putting daughter in danger". I'm sorry if that's not terribly PC, or evolved or whatever. If I think you're hurting my family you're in mortal danger. Period. End of sentence. Discussion over. I'm willing to bet that it's the same for the vast majority of guys.

No the real problem is that Daddy and daughter clearly have a communication problem. Daughter doesn't feel like she wants or can share with Daddy. She also feels safe enough that Daddy's not going to wander by while she and naked boy get on whatever form of whoopee they favor. There's a year's worth of evidence to support that point of view.

Since I don't know anything about the family I'll pass on trying to judge who's at fault. In my experience it's usually a bit of everyone.

In the end the lies and the lack of connection between parent and child ended up putting a young man in the hospital and may put Daddy in prison.

Call it a cautionary tale.

Peace

No comments: