Tuesday, March 07, 2006

And quickly...

I have a new column to share with you as soon as I can get back to the computer on which I wrote it! It was created during my "exile" period and I forgot to copy it and bring it home. So probably next week.

In the meantime I'm off to Atlanta to work with the GCOYP. That's the General Convention Official Youth Presence, a group of young people chosen to bring a voice for their age group to Convention. They are given seat and voice so they can address the issues facing the church. I did this 3 years ago and it was an amazing experience with an incredible group of youth. My primary function (beyond serving as a stellar example of what NOT to do!) is teaching them how to deal with the media. Since I worked in radio for 19.5 years including stints as news person and talk show host and morning personality (can you imagine waking up to me?). So I get to tell them how to "deal" with the media. What are the secrets:
Never lie to them.
Give short answers.
Offering them food never hurts.
Ok the first two are serious the third only sorta. Most media folk aren't making the big bucks. It never hurts to have a media event and have some decent food just "lying around". Yes, it really can be that easy. Of course if you violate the first two rules the third one won't help. We can be swayed but not bought by food.

Looking forward to some warmer weather, looks like low 70s. Fun fun fun!
Peace

No comments: