Friday, June 09, 2006

And we're off!

Like a couple thousand others I will be in Columbus Ohio starting on Monday for the General Convention of the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States. Or just The Episcopal Church (TEC). I'm not a deputy but will be there as the Province II youth ministry coordinator, working with a group of 18 young people who will be the voice for their age group to the convention. They are an amazing group of young people and it's always a blast to work with them.

It is my plan to update this blog at least every other day, and hopefully EVERY day with my observations of what the GC is like. I might even try a photo or two. Plus I will be logging my steps each day. I use a step meter (which measures steps rather than distance as a pedometer does) as part of a somewhat successful get in shape plan. Approximately 2000 steps equals a mile (I average about 5000 a day normally over a week) So we'll see how much ground I cover.

If you have questions post them in the comment section or email me and I'll answer them if and as I can.

General Convention is an absolutely amazing event, both good and bad. It's part business meeting, floor fight, family reunion, and act of worship (liturgical and praxis) I won't even pretend that I'm an "insider" or "mover and shaker" in our denomination. I'm a youth minister from a small diocese in WNY. What I hope to offer is more of an every day guy look at this event.

This blog actually started as a way to do the same thing at our last GC. You may want to sift back into the archives to check out my impressions from that time in Minneapolis. I think this year's posts will be different since I have some idea of what to expect.

Please pray for our church, the young people and yr humble srvnt,

Peace

No comments: