Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Odds and ends of my life

Just some flotsam and jetsam -

Been reading Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone mysteries. Liking them a lot. I'm only up to D, she's already made it to T.

Tried reading "Crazy Good - The True Story of Dan Patch". I got about 200 pages in and thought this really feels like a Sports Illustrated story. Check the dust jacket, turns out Charles Leerhsen is an SI editor. And there in lies the problem. That breezy, glib SI style that I really enjoy in a 2,000-5,000 word article really starts to rub me raw at book length. All those charming little side stories become increasingly annoying as I'm trying to read about the first true American sports mega-star (endorsements and everything) who happens to have been a horse. Not a thoroughbred either. It's an interesting story, I just wish he'd tell it! Probably not going to finish it.

Madpriest tipped me to Joey Ryan. Enjoyed the tunes a lot but then I have a soft spot for those singer/songwriter types. As always I offer the warning - if you've never entered the lair of he who is mad go at your own risk. His tongue is sharp and his wit has a real bite to it. You'll either love him or you won't. If you don't it'll hurt his feelings even as he denies it vehemently.

I keep thinking that there must be something profound for me to say eventually.
I'm still waiting.....

Peace

No comments: